The Town of Tredegar developed from about 1800. It is situated at the North end of the Sirhowy Valley. The land on the East side of the river was owned by Sir Charles Morgan who granted a lease in 1799 to Messrs. Matthew Monkhouse, Richard Fothergill and Samuel Homfrey to build the Tredegar Iron Company.
The first recorded iron works in Sirhowy
Gwaith Yr Hearn. It was developed by two Bretons
and worked by men from Penydarren in Merthyr. The
16 foot high furnace was completed around 1750.
Chartism was a working class movement, which emerged in 1836 and was most active between 1838 and 1848. The aim of the Chartists was to gain political rights and influence for the working classes.The Chartist movement was very active in Tredegar.